Making homemade tanning lotion can be an inexpensive and safer way to get an amazing tan. Here’s how to make one.
Homemade Tanning Lotion | Black Tea Tanning Lotion Recipe
Why Use Black Tea?
Black tea gives a natural dark look when applied to the skin. It also contains antioxidants which flush out toxins that may cause blemishes and protect your skin from free radicals, which prevents wrinkles and premature skin aging.
Black Tea Tanning Lotion
What You’ll Need:
- 3-4 Black tea bags
- 3/4 – 1 cup water
- Unscented white lotion
Tip: You can actually choose any lotion. But, we recommend unscented lotion because the fragrance of scented lotion might not mix well with the scent of black tea. And if you have sensitive skin, scented lotion may cause skin irritation.
Step 1: Boil Water
Boil enough water for 4 black tea bags.
Step 2: Dip the Tea Bags
Pour the water into a bowl containing the black tea bags. Let the tea bags rest for a few minutes and wait for the water to cool down.
Step 3: Blend
Once the mixture has cooled, blend the tea and lotion together. How much lotion do you need? Keep adding until you get the desired color. As a guide, you can mix 1/2 cup of black tea with 1 cup lotion. Mix thoroughly.
Step 4: Apply to the Skin
Once the mixture is set, you can apply the tanning lotion onto the skin. Let it rest so the skin can absorb it. Apply the lotion before dressing up.
Step 5: Reapply a New Layer
Once the lotion is dry, assess if this is the tan you desire. If not, you can reapply another layer for a darker tan.
Extra Tips for a Beautiful Tan
- Shower and exfoliate before you apply the lotion for smooth application.
- Do not wear makeup or apply other lotions after you shower.
- Wait two days before using the lotion after a waxing session.
- Prevent irritation or burns by shaving a day before using the lotion.
- Avoid loofas or other scrubbers after applying the lotion as this may cause streaking.
- To make a darker shade of tanning lotion, add black tea.
- Please note that this formula for lotion is not waterproof and will rinse off when you get wet.
- You can also just make black tea and wait for the mixture to cool, then put it in a spray bottle for your homemade spray tan.
Check out this informative video from Natural Cures to learn how to make your own homemade self-tanning lotion:
In the end, buying tanning lotions from the store may expose you to harmful chemicals that can endanger your health. Making your own homemade tanning lotion ensures that you know what’s in it to prevent allergies and side-effects. Homemade tanning lotions are also very easy to make and cost almost nothing. Give it a try today and see the difference!
Have you tried making your own homemade tanning lotion? Share your experience with us with in the comments section below!