Leg waxing is one of the most effective ways to keep your legs flawless and hairless. Waxing legs for the first time can be nerve-wracking if you do not know what to expect. Here are all the treatment must-knows, so you can prepare before waxing your legs for the first time.
Leg Waxing 101 | What You Need To Know
In this article:
- When did Leg Waxing Start?
- How does Leg Waxing Work?
- What to do before Leg Waxing?
- Can you Shower After Leg Waxing?
- How long does Leg Waxing Last?
- Is Waxing Legs Better than Shaving?
- Is Leg Waxing Safe during Pregnancy?
When did Leg Waxing Start?
Waxing goes as far back as 3000 B.C. In fact, ancient Egyptians spent a lot of time removing ALL their body hair. They even had different techniques for doing so. They used pumice stones and tweezers made of seashells. They also used a variety of waxes such as beeswax, lemon-, and sugar-based wax.
How does Leg Waxing Work?
There are 2 ways to wax your legs: you can do it yourself, or you can go to a waxing salon and have it done by a professional.
Leg waxing at waxing salons typically takes about 30 to 45 minutes, the duration may vary depending on hair type and amount of hair.
The type of wax is to be considered as well. The most common types of waxes include:
- soft wax (beeswax or paraffin);
- hard wax;
- fruit wax (usually made from berries);
- sugar wax; and
- chocolate wax.
The procedure begins with the aesthetician applying wax on your legs. Then a strip is placed against it. The strip is swiftly pulled off the skin once the wax hardens and sticks to the strip. This process is repeated until the skin is cleared of hair. The last step in the process is the application of oil to get rid of excess wax and to moisturize the skin.
What to do before Leg Waxing?
- Ensure that the hair length in the area is at least 1/2 inch. This is to safeguard complete hair removal and prevent ingrown hair.
- As much as possible, do not have your legs waxed when menstruating. It’s better to do it before or after your period as it will be less painful then.
- Make sure to book your leg waxing appointment at a reputable waxing salon. Check reviews online, or ask friends about their personal waxing salon experiences.
- Be as honest as possible to your aesthetician — be it a small mole on your leg, a sunburn or an existing skin condition, be open about everything. This way, you can help your aesthetician give you comfortable waxing experience.
Can you Shower After Leg Waxing?
Avoid showering (especially a hot shower or sauna) immediately after your waxing appointment. If you feel a sticky discomfort and want to relieve it straightaway, you can apply oil on your legs.
Take your shower (not a bath) 5 to 8 hours after the procedure. This amount of time will allow your skin and pores to breathe. Also, make sure that the skin on your legs will not pick up excess moisture for at least 24 hours.
How long does Leg Waxing Last?
Depending on your hair growth and hair type, it may last for 3 to 6 weeks. Hair growth is usually minimal in the first 2 weeks and becomes noticeable on the 3rd or 4th week.
Take note that hair growth grows quicker during summer. Provide longer intervals between your treatments during this season. The downside of this, though, is the higher possibility of sparse hair re-growth.
Is Waxing Legs Better than Shaving?
Many still question if is it better to shave or wax your legs. We recommend waxing your legs for multiple reasons:
- It exfoliates your skin, removing dead cells.
- It doesn’t cut your skin.
- It lasts longer than shaving.
- It leaves skin smoother.
- It slows down hair growth.
- Over time, hair can be thinner or may stop growing.
Is Leg Waxing Safe during Pregnancy?
There’s no proven study on the safety or danger of waxing during pregnancy. Generally speaking, leg waxing is safe for pregnant women. Make sure to do the proper preparations mentioned above before your treatment.
Check out this video from FionaFrills for how-to tips on leg waxing for the first time:
We can say that there is confidence, comfort, and convenience that comes from leg waxing. As a rule, follow pre and post-treatment tips for a pleasant leg waxing experience. With that, we hope these leg waxing FAQs eased your worries!
Have more leg waxing tips to add? Share it with us in the comments section below.