Looking for the best self-tanning products to stay bronzed after summer? For those wanting to opt out of spray salon costs, Daily Record gives these tips and suggestions on how to self-tan like an expert. From choosing the best self-tanner for fair skin to the basics of using a mitt, we’ve got you covered.
Self-Tanning Products and Tips: Maintain a Sunless Tan
With the kids back at school and the summer sunshine – what little there was of it in Scotland – now a fading memory, it’s time to think about how to extend that tan. With a little bit of base colour acquired over the holidays, it’s a good idea to get into a regular habit of applying a tanning product either weekly or daily, depending on whether you’re going for a gradual or instant bronze, to preserve that healthy glow.
Click here to read more
Get the basics right, and with a handy self-tanning routine, you too can sport a tan that lasts you well beyond summer. Self-tanning is a cheaper alternative to spray tanning or tanning bed salon appointments. With the option of tanning daily (with a gradual lotion) or weekly (with a bronzer or a DHA-based tanning lotion), self-tanners give you full control of the hue and frequency of your tan.
Daily Record enumerates a few things to keep in mind if you choose to go the DIY route:
- Add a layer of lotion on your hands, elbows, knees, and feet to prevent product accumulation in these areas
- Use an applicator mitt to avoid streaks and ensure an even finish
- Apply the product in sweeping motions instead of circular
- When it’s time to apply product to your feet, don’t add on more product, just use the residue on the mitt
- Use a moisturizer to blend color in your wrists and palms
- Lastly, use a wipe to remove excess product in between your fingers and under the nails
To add on to those valuable tips, don’t forget to exfoliate and moisturize before tanning. Patchy tans are mostly caused by dry skin. Good skin equals a good tan, so take good care of your skin!
Why Use Self-Tanning Products?
Aside from the scarcity of sunlight that we get on a daily basis (hello, winter), self-tanning is an option for those who love having some color, but hate the danger of staying under the sun for too long. People who burn easily also like the variety in the shades of tan available from a large pool of tanning lotion brands.
Self-tanning can be done in the comfort of your own home, too. No need to set or prepare for appointments. Gradual tanning lotions are available for beginners: foolproof products with slowly-developing color that are fairly easy to use.
A lot of self-tanning lotions are infused with moisturizers that keep the skin soft and supple. Also, you can find products that are alcohol-free, paraben-free, and vegan. If you like options, self-tanning has a lot of things in store for you!
A Bit Of Sunshine: Self-Tanning Products to Try
Your summer memories may fade… just make sure your tan doesn’t 😉 Snap courtesy of @sunlessglowbyjo pic.twitter.com/WCKhYR3XTc
— Norvell Sunless (@NorvellSunless) September 10, 2017
1. Hemp Nation Instant Natural Bronzer: HydraRich™ Blend contains Australian aboriginal plums and hemp seed extracts that will moisturize your skin as you tan.
2. Body Drench Gradual Self-Tanning Lotion: A gentle formulation perfect for use all year round. The color gradually develops into a natural, golden hue.
3. Norvell Self Tanning Gel Creme with Instant Bronzers: A non-sticky, fast-drying, nice-smelling product. Contains natural moisturizers and skin firmers to prolong your tan and reduce wrinkles.
4. Fake Bake Self Tan Lotion: For a deeper, darker tan that lasts 50x longer. This product has a cosmetic color guide perfect for beginners.
Beach season may be over, but self-tanning products are definitely here to stay. The best thing about self-tanning products is the options: there is always a brand for every tanning need. Bring a bit of sunshine everywhere you go, and try out self-tanning now!
The hands, feet, elbows, and knees are prone to product accumulation. How can you deal with it? Watch this video by Gena M below:
What is your favorite sunless tanning product? Share your thoughts in the comments box below.