First introduced as a machine for medical research, tanning beds are now used by people who want to know how to tan faster. After all, tanning beds allow you to get a sun-kissed to bronze glow in a shorter amount of time, and with less sunburn than outdoor tanning. It’s clear that regardless of their original purposes, tanning beds are now your best answer to the question of how to tan faster.
How to Tan Faster Using a Tanning Bed
What Is a Tanning Bed?
A tanning bed is a machine that uses ultraviolet rays to darken one’s skin. Initially used by a German researcher to study the effects of UV rays on people’s bodies, it was discovered that UV rays gave the subject a cosmetic tan. A tanning bed is usually an enclosed machine, equipped with long, low-pressure bulbs and a section where a person can lie on. The person is then exposed to varying levels of UV rays from the bulbs, depending on how tan he or she wants to be.
Tanning Beds vs Sun Tanning
Tanning experts agree that, especially for newbies who are starting their tanning journey, sun tanning is not a good idea. The rate and intensity of UV rays penetrating the atmosphere make tanning a dangerous hobby to do, especially if you stay too long under the sun. Moreover, you can still get strong UV rays even in the cloudiest of seasons.
Comparatively, indoor tanning is safe, as long as, you pay attention to the type of tanning bed you’ll use, and how long you’ll stay under. Older models tend to emit high-level UVB rays, which could quickly cause sunburn and tanning itch. In contrast, modern tanning beds emit more UVA, which is safer.
Tanning Bed Types
There are at least, three types of tanning beds in salons today:
- Low-Pressure Tanning Bed — These beds use low-pressure fluorescent bulbs that emit 95 percent UVA and 5 percent UVB. The bulbs emit light as if you’re actually under the sun. While it might take a few more sessions to achieve the tan you want, if you’re a first-timer, it is recommended for you to use this type of tanning bed. That way, you can gradually work on your base tan.
- High-Pressure Tanning Bed — High-pressure tanning beds allow you to control the amount of UVA rays emitted. The higher the amount of UVA rays, the more vitamin D you get, and the quicker you turn darker. This is because UVA rays penetrate deeper into the epidermis. A high-pressure bed can help you achieve your base tan, six to eight times faster, than with a low-pressure bed.
- Combination Tanning Bed — This tanning bed is popular in tanning salons as it appeals to almost every tanning enthusiast. This type of tanning bed has the flexibility to set the bulbs in a low-pressure setting or a high-pressure setting. A combination of tanning bed gives tanners the option of setting the level of intensity, depending on what they want their tan to look like and how frequently they schedule their sessions.
Tips to Tan Faster
If you want to tan faster, here are some tips you can easily follow:
- Determine your skin type, and how long you should be staying in a tanning bed to achieve a particular color.
- Prep your skin ahead of your session. Exfoliate at least, a week before. Before the session, slather on moisturizer or drink water to keep your skin from drying up.
- Wear the right tanning gear. Some people prefer wearing bathing suits or underwear.
- If you can, move your body slightly for an even color. Try to move your chin from side to side to color the spot under your neck.
Tanning also has it’s hazards. That’s why it’s important to heed these tanning precautions:
- Apply tanning lotion to reduce the chances of getting sunburned. Avoid using makeup or perfume that could react to the tanning lotion.
- Protect your eyes. Wear a pair of goggles specially made for tanning.
- Moisturize after tanning. An aloe-based moisturizer should do the trick to soothe your red or inflamed skin.
Watch Melissa of Maui Tan as she shares how to tan faster in a tanning bed:
A tanning bed is a great tool for you to get the sun-kissed tan you want. Moreover, a little knowledge can improve your chances of getting your tan fast and safe. For example, wearing the right apparel and practicing skin care, before and after your session, will not only help you get a tan faster, but it will also help you keep the color you want until your next session.
Want to know more about indoor tanning and how to tan faster? Ask us your questions in the comments below!